Jun 22, 2024  
2023/2024 University Catalog 
2023/2024 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, Communicative Sciences Concentration, M.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Curricula by Department

(SIMS Code: 550142)

In addition to meeting the requirements for classified graduate standing and the basic Requirements for Master’s Degrees , the student must complete a graduate program of at least 36 units (64 units for the Concentration in Speech-Language Pathology). A student must complete SLHS 799A , Thesis for Plan A. The thesis option requires approval by the school and may not be appropriate for every student. If Plan B is elected, the student must pass a written comprehensive examination (which may be repeated only twice). No more than six units of coursework outside the school acceptable for the graduate level may be applied to the master’s degree.

The School of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences offers three concentrations leading to the Master of Arts degree. Students in each concentration must have already completed a bachelor’s degree (or approved level coursework) in speech, language, and hearing sciences (or equivalent). Each concentration requires completion of a specific pattern of graduate units described below:

Advancement to Candidacy

All students must meet the general requirements for advancement to candidacy as described in Requirements for Master’s Degrees .

Concentration in Communicative Sciences

This concentration has research and theoretical foci in the area of communicative disorders. Students interested in non-clinical study requiring a strong scientific foundation may avail themselves of this concentration.


33 units of electives from 600- and 700-level Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences courses and/or 700- and 800-level Audiology courses, with consent of the faculty adviser, and may include up to six units of 500-, 600-, and 700-numbered courses from engineering, linguistics, physics, psychology, or other departments with approval of graduate adviser. Students may complete three units of 799A (Plan A) as part of the 33 units or pass a comprehensive/qualifying examination (Plan B).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Curricula by Department