Jun 22, 2024  
2023/2024 University Catalog 
2023/2024 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, Speech-Language Pathology: Bilingual Specialization, M.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location

(SIMS Code: 550183)

In addition to meeting the requirements for classified graduate standing and the basic Requirements for Master’s Degrees , the student must complete a graduate program of at least 36 units (64 units for the Concentration in Speech-Language Pathology). A student must complete SLHS 799A , Thesis for Plan A. The thesis option requires approval by the school and may not be appropriate for every student. If Plan B is elected, the student must pass a written comprehensive examination (which may be repeated only twice). No more than six units of coursework outside the school acceptable for the graduate level may be applied to the master’s degree.

The School of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences offers three concentrations leading to the Master of Arts degree. Students in each concentration must have already completed a bachelor’s degree (or approved level coursework) in speech, language, and hearing sciences (or equivalent). Each concentration requires completion of a specific pattern of graduate units described below:

Advancement to Candidacy

All students must meet the general requirements for advancement to candidacy as described in Requirements for Master’s Degrees .

Concentration in Speech-Language Pathology: Bilingual Specialization

Students who have an interest in working with bilingual clients are encouraged to apply to the concentration in speech-language pathology with a specialization in bilingualism. Students are required to pass a language proficiency test in a language other than English. To be a candidate for the specialization, a student must be admitted to the master’s degree program in speech-language pathology since the specialization is coordinated with these endeavors. This concentration has a clinical focus and may be used to satisfy the academic and clinical preparation for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA); for the Speech-Language Pathology Credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing; and for licensure from the State of California. Students are required to complete coursework in all of the following areas: articulation, fluency, voice and resonance, receptive and expressive language, hearing, swallowing, cognitive and social aspects of communication, and augmentative and alternative communication modalities.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location