Jul 18, 2024  
2023/2024 University Catalog 
2023/2024 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Pupil Personnel Services Credential

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location

The School of Social Work is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to offer the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Social Work and the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in Child Welfare and Attendance. The credentials can be awarded under two conditions:

  1. As part of the standard M.S.W. program in the Direct Practice focus area completed during second year coursework. Students would be assigned to a second year SWORK 750  internship in an approved school placement. In addition, students must take SWORK 758  (School Social Work) as their fall elective course, and SWORK 798  for one unit in the spring. Only Title IV-E students that are interested in pursuing a PPS Credential will be eligible to complete their first year (600-level) internship in an approved school placement, as they are required to do their advanced/focus area year (700-level) internship at Child Welfare Services to meet the Title IV-E requirements.
  2. As a post MSW student through Cal State Apply, http://www.calstate.edu/apply. Interested professionals must contact the PPS coordinator and apply for the program which consists of 12 units taken over two semesters beginning in the fall of each year. The program includes SWORK 758  (School Social Work-3 units), SWORK 798  (1 unit), and SWORK 750  (4 units) each semester. SWORK 750  is a 20-hour per week internship required to accumulate the necessary time for the credentials.


Current students interested in the PPS credential need only file the regular SWORK 750  application during the spring semester prior to enrollment. Unless demand is high, students will generally be admitted to the credential program.

Post MSW students must submit an electronic application and must apply for admission to the credential program through Cal State Apply by the deadline. Post MSW students must then file the necessary field application to the coordinator of Field Education by the deadline date established for all students. Applicants must hold an MSW from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited program. All post MSW requirements must be completed within seven consecutive calendar years following the completion of the MSW degree. In entering the program, admission is based upon available internship sites. Preference is given to current students. Official acceptance does not occur until late spring when all current students have been placed.

Out-of-state applicants seeking a commission-approved formal evaluation and recommendation for the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Social Work and the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in Child Welfare and Attendance should contact the PPS coordinator Paul Brazzel at 619-594-2150 or pbrazzel@sdsu.edu.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location