Major (10073) Academic Plan Code (662588MFAS)
Admission to the Degree Curriculum
In addition to meeting the general requirements for admission to the university with classified graduate standing, a student must satisfy the following requirements before being recommended for classified graduate standing:
- Possess a baccalaureate degree in theatre or an approved affiliated field with a grade point average of not less than 2.85 overall in the last 60 units of study attempted and a 3.0 undergraduate average in the major.
- Complete undergraduate requirements commensurate with the proposed M.F.A. program.
- Satisfy additional requirements listed below.
Students who have not met certain criteria or demonstrate deficiencies in undergraduate preparation or basic skill development, may be granted conditional admission with the understanding that remedial coursework will be completed prior to advancement to classified standing. Remedial coursework cannot be applied to the 60-unit minimum requirement for the degree. Students who do not satisfy the requirements for an M.F.A. degree will not automatically be considered for an M.A. degree. A student holding an M.A. degree in theatre arts from San Diego State University or any other institution of higher learning must formally apply for the M.F.A. degree. PLEASE NOTE: Applicants holding an M.A. or M.F.A. degree from an accredited institution may transfer up to 30 units upon review and recommendation of the faculty in the area of specialization, and the graduate coordinator of the School of Theatre, Television, and Film, and the approval of the graduate dean.
Musical Theatre, M.F.A.
This program admits new students every other year only.
In addition to meeting the admission requirements listed above, a student must demonstrate professional potential in musical theatre by providing:
- Curriculum vitae or resume of musical theatre accomplishments.
- An audition, either in person or via video, to include two contrasting vocal selections.
- Three references attesting to the candidate’s academic qualifications and level of competence in the areas of acting, singing, and dancing.
- Submit online program application available at: http://ttf.sdsu.edu/index.php/degree_programs/mtmfa/mfa-musical-theatre-application-audition-info.
For specific audition dates and locations, write to the Head, Musical Theatre Program, School of Theatre, Television, and Film, San Diego State University, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182-7601 or visit our website at http://ttf.sdsu.edu.
Advancement to Candidacy
All students must meet the general requirements for advancement to candidacy as described in Requirements for Master’s Degrees. Candidates for the M.F.A. must have completed 30 units within their official program with a minimum grade point average of 3.0. A minimum of 24 units in the official program must be enrolled in and completed concurrently with or after advancement to candidacy. Students seeking the Master of Fine Arts with a concentration in musical theatre are required to have completed Theatre 600 and remove any deficiencies noted by the faculty.