(Major Code: 09051) (SIMS Code: 446001)
The College of Engineering offers graduate study leading to the Master of Science degree in bioengineering. The M.S. in bioengineering seeks to provide both an advanced degree for students to enter the biotechnology and medical device industries as well as preparation for further study in bioengineering or medicine. Current areas of specialization are biomechanics, biomaterials, and bioinstrumentation.
The following materials should be mailed or delivered to:
Bioengineering Graduate Adviser
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Room 326
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1323
- Personal statement of graduate program goals;
- Letters of recommendation (optional).
Specific Requirements for the Degree
The student’s program will be prepared in conference with and approved by the bioengineering graduate adviser. Students take a “core” of courses required for their specialization, and additional courses and electives as listed below. Students without prerequisites for the required courses may need to take additional courses outside the 30 units needed for the degree. The student’s program of study must satisfy the following requirements:
- Students select a specialization in biomechanics, biomaterials, or bioinstrumentation in consultation with the bioengineering graduate adviser.
- A total of 30 units, consisting of five required 500-, 600-, and 700- level core courses (15-16 units) corresponding to the specialization, 6-9 units of Research (M E 797 /E E 797 ), Thesis (M E 799A /E E 799A ), or Special Study (M E 798 /E E 798 ), and electives selected from the list below.
- A thesis project is required.
- Demonstration of prior coursework equivalent to a core course will enable substitution of an elective chosen in consultation with the bioengineering graduate adviser.
- At least 15 units of coursework (excluding 797, 798, 799 courses) must be from Engineering.
- At least 12 units of coursework (excluding 797, 798, 799 courses) must be 600- or 700-level courses.