Jun 20, 2024  
2023/2024 University Catalog 
2023/2024 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Education, Dual Language and English Learner Education Concentration, M.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location

(Major Code: 08994) (SIMS Code: 331956)

Admissions for this program are currently suspended. 

How to Apply

See Critical Literacy and Social Justice Specialization (M.A.) Program Application for requirements.

Submit the following in the supplementary program application.

  1. Two letters of recommendation;
  2. Letter of intent that includes your background or experiences working with diverse populations and your goals as a graduate student and education professional.

For more information contact:
Department of Dual Language and English Learner Education

Admission to the Degree Curriculum

Applicants must satisfy the general requirements for admission to the university with classified graduate standing, as described in Admission and Registration . In addition, applicants must have completed a minimum of 12 units in professional education courses and must either be admitted to the program of teacher education or hold a valid California credential, other than an emergency or provisional credential, before being recommended for classified graduate standing. (This is not applicable to students in the Departments of Administration, Rehabilitation and Postsecondary Education, Counseling and School Psychology, Learning Design and Technology, Special Education, and School of Teacher Education.)

A student desiring a concentration in educational leadership must, in addition to the above, meet specific requirements for admission to the appropriate advanced credential program. A student desiring a master’s degree concentration in counseling, dual language and English learner education, or in special education must also meet specific admission requirements. (For further information, refer to the College of Education, Office of Graduate Programs, or to the coordinators of the respective programs. Students in counseling and school psychology should go to the Department of Counseling and School Psychology website http://go.sdsu.edu/education/csp/Default.aspx.

Advancement to Candidacy

A student desiring a Master of Arts degree in education with a concentration in counseling, educational leadership, elementary curriculum, instruction, reading education, or secondary curriculum and instruction may be advanced to candidacy upon completion of the basic requirements as described in Requirements for Master’s Degrees .

Specific Requirements

In addition to meeting the requirements for admission to the university with classified graduate standing and the credential requirements as applicable, the student must satisfy the basic requirements for the master’s degree described in Requirements for Master’s Degrees . In addition, the student must meet the requirements specified for one of the concentrations in education (described below). Courses common to all concentrations are

Plan A

Which requires

Plan B

In which three options are available

All candidates for the Master of Arts degree in education who elect Plan B must pass a comprehensive examination and complete ED 791A  and ED 791B  or ED 795A  and ED 795B .

The Comprehensive Examination

This written examination, designed to evaluate the achievement in the specific area of the student’s concentration, is required of all candidates for the master’s degree in education. A student is eligible to take the comprehensive examination only after advancement to candidacy.

The examination is offered near the midpoint of the final semester. In some cases, a reservation must be made at least one week in advance of the examination.

Selection of Plan A or Plan B

In general, applicants will be programmed for Plan B, the seminar plan. After the student is approximately half way through the program, has secured an adviser and established a thesis plan, permission to transfer to Plan A may be requested. Plan A is designed for students who have a particular research problem they wish to investigate in some detail. Requests for transfer to Plan A must be prepared as an official change in program for the master’s degree, countersigned by the faculty adviser, and submitted to the Office of Graduate Programs in the College of Education.

Both Plan B options provide students the opportunity (1) to have two experiences which emphasize research or evaluation and writing, (2) to participate actively in the projects of the other members of the seminar, and (3) to subject their own work to critical evaluation by the other seminar members. Both plans require the ability to formulate and define research or evaluation problems, to assemble data pertinent to the problem, to draw conclusions, and to present the study in acceptable written form. It is expected that the two seminars will be at least as demanding as the thesis with respect to the difficulty and quantity of work required. Selection of one of the Plan B options must be made with the approval of the departmental faculty adviser.

Course Requirements

NOTE: Students are requested to consult with the appropriate master’s degree adviser prior to taking any coursework leading to the master’s degree. Students are urged to take ED 690  (3 units) as early as possible in their first graduate year.


Dual Language and English Learner Education

The Master of Arts degree in education with a concentration in dual language and English learner education is designed to provide special knowledge and training for two diverse audiences with different career goals.

Option 1: Dual Language and English Learner Education, Critical Literacy and Social Justice Specialization, M.A. , is geared for the classroom teacher or resource specialist who will be working directly with language minority students.

Option 2: Education, Dual Language and English Learner Education Concentration, Outside Specialization, M.A. , has been developed to allow participants to cross-specialize in additional areas. The nine to 12 unit outside specialization may be in other College of Education departments or in other cooperating departments across campus. Students with an outside specialization need approval for outside courses from both the Dual Language and English Learner Education department and the cooperating department.

Students in each specialization will take the same 18 units of research and core classes, but their other 12 units may vary as described below. All students must follow the guidelines and procedures established for the Master of Arts degree in education (i.e. take a comprehensive examination based on core coursework after advancing to candidacy).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location