Jun 22, 2024  
2023/2024 University Catalog 
2023/2024 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

English and Comparative Literature, B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location

(Major Code: 15011) (SIMS Code: 112101)

Also Offered at SDSU Imperial Valley

All candidates for a degree in liberal arts and sciences must complete the graduation requirements listed in the section of this catalog on “Graduation Requirements .” No more than 54 units in English and Comparative Literature, and rhetoric and writing studies courses can apply to the degree.

A minor is not required with this major.

Impacted Program

To complete the major, students must fulfill the degree requirements for the major described in the catalog in effect at the time they are accepted into the premajor at SDSU (assuming continuous enrollment).

The major in English and Comparative Literature is designated as an impacted program and specific criteria are used to admit students. To be admitted to the major in English and Comparative Literature, students must meet the following criteria:

Complete with a Minimum GPA of 2.50

These courses cannot be taken for credit/no credit (Cr/NC);

Complete with a minimum GPA of 2.50 and a grade of C (2.0) or better:

Cumulative GPA

Have a cumulative GPA of 2.40 or better.

Preparation for the Major

(15 units)

Any grade requirements and GPA requirements listed above for admission to the major in English will also be enforced in Preparation for the Major requirements.

Language Requirement

Competency (successfully completing the third college semester or fifth college quarter) is required in one language other than English to fulfill the graduation requirement. Refer to section of catalog on “Graduation Requirements .”

Language Competency Requirement (Applied Arts and Sciences)

Students who have completed the California Community College Associate in Arts in English for Transfer (AA-T) degree are required to successfully complete a second college semester or third college quarter in one language other than English. Students will also meet this requirement by successfully completing the third-year level of a high school language other than English.

Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

Take ECL 508W  and earn a grade of C (2.0) or better. See “Graduation Requirements ” section for a complete listing of requirements.


A minimum of 33 upper division units to include 3 units in an early period, 6 units of comparative literature, 3 units of ECL 508W  , and 21 units of upper division ECL electives.

Courses in module A are oriented towards exploring aspects of the development of the English and American literary traditions over time. Courses in module B are oriented towards using literary and cultural studies to engage with a diversity of human societies, viewpoints, and experiences. Courses in module C develop student capacity in scholarly writing, creative writing, editing, publishing, and digital literary content.

C. Three Units Selected from the Following

Must include three units of ECL 508W .

D. Twenty-One Units of

Twenty-one units of upper division English and Comparative Literature courses.

English Honors Variation

(39 units)

Three additional units of upper division English and Comparative Literature electives, with consent of the undergraduate adviser; and:

Selection of Courses

Prospective majors of sophomore standing may, with the consent of the course instructor and subject to general university regulations (see “Credit for Upper Division Courses ” in the section of this catalog on General Regulations), substitute six units of upper division electives for six units of lower division work. These courses must be in the same field as those which they replace, and must be approved by the departmental adviser.

Students of junior or senior standing may substitute for any deficiencies in lower division requirements in English and Comparative Literature (except RWS 100  and RWS 200 ) an equivalent number of units of upper division courses selected with the approval of the departmental adviser.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location