Sep 24, 2023
(Major Code: 10041) (SIMS Code: 665324)
All candidates for a bachelor of music degree must complete the graduation requirements listed in the section of this catalog on “Graduation Requirements .” The maximum number of units in upper division music courses acceptable toward the Bachelor of Music degree is 70.
A minor is not required with this major.
Preparation for the Major
All majors must fulfill the requirements in one of the following areas of specialization.
- Music Education
- Global Composition
- Jazz Studies
- Professional Studies - Track 1, Track 2, or Track 3
Track 1 - Music Entrepreneurship and Business
Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.9 or better. MUSIC 250B and ACCTG 201 must be completed with a grade of C (2.0) or better. These courses cannot be taken for credit/no credit (Cr/NC).
Prior to enrolling in upper division Fowler College of Business courses, students must complete ACCTG 201 , have earned a minimum of 60 units and must participate in the entrepreneurship minor workshop; students must earn a grade of C (2.0) or better in MUSIC 205B prior to enrolling in upper division music courses. School of Music and Dance, in consultation with the Fowler College of Business, will monitor completion of experiential component required in the entrepreneurship coursework.
Jazz Studies, instrumental performance majors, and Professional Studies Track 1 - no language equivalency required.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
Passing the Writing Placement Assessment with a score of 10 or completing one of the approved upper division writing courses (W) with a grade of C (2.0) or better. See “Graduation Requirements ” section for a complete listing of requirements.
Performance Studies for Credit
Credit may be allowed for performance studies under the following conditions:
- Properly enrolled Bachelor of Music majors may enroll for performance studies with resident faculty without an additional fee.
- Students may under no circumstances change instructors in the middle of a semester without first securing the permission of the director of the School of Music and Dance.
- Prior to the start of performance studies at San Diego State University, students are required to take a preliminary audition conducted by music faculty which will indicate status at the beginning of their studies.
- Students who have dropped out of school or have stopped taking performance studies for credit for one semester or more, upon resumption of that instruction for credit are required to present another preliminary audition.
- At the end of each semester, the School of Music and Dance will sponsor a jury examination to satisfy itself that its standards have been met.
- Students enrolled in performance studies must be concurrently enrolled in the Comprehensive Musicianship program and class piano until such time as the CM and piano requirements are fulfilled.