Sep 24, 2023
(Major Code: 10041) (SIMS Code: 665378)
All candidates for a bachelor of music degree must complete the graduation requirements listed in the section of this catalog on “Graduation Requirements .” The maximum number of units in upper division music courses acceptable toward the Bachelor of Music degree is 70.
A minor is not required with this major.
Preparation for the Major
All majors must fulfill the requirements in one of the following areas of specialization.
- Music Education
- Global Composition
- Jazz Studies
- Professional Studies - Track 1, Track 2, or Track 3
Six Units of
(Eight units if piano is primary instrument)
Jazz Studies, instrumental performance majors, and Professional Studies Track 1 - no language equivalency required.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
Passing the Writing Placement Assessment with a score of 10 or completing one of the approved upper division writing courses (W) with a grade of C (2.0) or better. See “Graduation Requirements ” section for a complete listing of requirements.
All Bachelor of Music students in jazz studies must perform a public junior recital comprised of one-half hour of music (normally given in the second semester of their junior year) and a public senior recital comprised of one hour of music (normally given in the second semester of their senior year).
Performance Studies for Credit
Credit may be allowed for performance studies under the following conditions:
- Properly enrolled Bachelor of Music majors may enroll for performance studies with resident faculty without an additional fee.
- Students may under no circumstances change instructors in the middle of a semester without first securing the permission of the director of the School of Music and Dance.
- Prior to the start of performance studies at San Diego State University, students are required to take a preliminary audition conducted by music faculty which will indicate status at the beginning of their studies.
- Students who have dropped out of school or have stopped taking performance studies for credit for one semester or more, upon resumption of that instruction for credit are required to present another preliminary audition.
- At the end of each semester, the School of Music and Dance will sponsor a jury examination to satisfy itself that its standards have been met.
- Students enrolled in performance studies must be concurrently enrolled in the Comprehensive Musicianship program and class piano until such time as the CM and piano requirements are fulfilled.