Jun 12, 2021  
2021/2022 University Catalog 
2021/2022 University Catalog

Spanish, B.A. in Liberal Arts and Sciences

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location

(Major Code: 11051) (SIMS Code: 117103)

In preparation for the Single Subject Teaching Credential in Foreign Languages

All candidates for a teaching credential must take and pass the CSET and complete all requirements as outlined in this section of the catalog under Dual Language and English Learner Education or Teacher Education. For students completing the single subject teaching credential program, no more than 52 units in Spanish courses can apply to the degree.

This major may be used by students in dual language and English learner education or teacher education as preparation for the CSET or as undergraduates for the B.A. degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences.

A minor is required with this major.

Preparation for the Major

These courses are automatically waived for native speakers of Spanish who have a high school diploma or equivalent from a country whose language of instruction is Spanish. (0-22 units) See Spanish adviser.


SPAN 281  replaces SPAN 201  and SPAN 211  and SPAN 282  replaces SPAN 202  and SPAN 212  for U.S. Hispanics.

Language Requirement

The language requirement for graduation is automatically fulfilled through coursework for preparation for the major.

Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

Passing the Writing Placement Assessment with a score of 10 or completing one of the approved upper division writing courses (W) with a grade of C (2.0) or better. See “Graduation Requirements ” section for a complete listing of requirements.

International Experience Requirement

All Spanish majors are required to complete an approved study abroad program in a Spanish-speaking country consisting of a minimum of six units (90 hours). To fulfill the International Experience Requirement, Spanish majors must enroll in a study abroad program approved by the department. Participation in other study abroad programs without the written approval of the department will not meet the international experience requirement for the major.


At least 15 upper division units for the major must be taken in residence through coursework offered by or sponsored by the SDSU Spanish department or by the CSU International Programs. Students who have successfully completed courses for upper division credit may not receive credit for lower division Spanish language courses.

A minimum of 30 upper division units taught in Spanish to include


*SPAN 381  or SPAN 382  replaces SPAN 301  and SPAN 302  for Spanish speakers. 

+Twelve units must be taken if SPAN 381  or SPAN 382  was taken in place of SPAN 301  and SPAN 302 .

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs by Campus Location